Thursday, April 16, 2009

I joined a gym




Thanks for the encouragement, Area Orion! It's still kinda wierd to me, but it's been a long time since I've been so excited about something.

Since today was finally a nice day I decided to go for a jog around the neighborhood. Ok, it started as a jog and then became more of a sweaty fast walk. I'm way more out of shape than I realized. Then you won't believe this, I ended up sweaty walking by a little gym in a strip mall not too far from where I live. I'd seen it before, especially when I was little and used to ride my bike to a pizza shop that's not there anymore. The gym's been there forever and now the pizza shop is a wierd looking health food vitamin type store. Lucky me, the store had a "Now Hiring" sign in front. Remember how I wanted that summer job? I thought, hmm if I want to get buff (or at least try) this could be the perfect place to work!

The shop was wierd, but so are vitamins so what did I expect. They had a lot of huge containers of protein powder and all kinds of drinks and pills for energy, smartness, burning fat and of course, building muscle. There were even a number of products in wierd bottles that were labeled in some foreign language like Eastern European or Egyptian. I dunno. The point is, you'd have to shop there for years I'm guessing to be able to try everything just once.

Anyways, I met with the owner, a goofy little man who apparently owns the gym next door. He said he'd been running the shop for years by himself but when he bought the gym last year, he got really overwhelmed and needs someone to work the shop for him. I told him I have some excellent retail experience (a total lie) and that I would love to work there. I thought he would need at least a few days to make a decision, but he said he'd hire me. How cool is that!? Not only that, he told me I could use the gym for free!

So yeah, my first day training at the shop will be this weekend! Tomorrow, I'm gonna start at the gym which is a bit scary since I've never worked out. Wish me luck!

Love,
Mel

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your job! Sounds like you were destined to get a gym membership. And don't worry about using the gym; it's not as scary as it seems like it'd be, and I'm sure you'll be a natural!

    Just be careful about some of those oddball products; I read a magazine entry or two about some...expansive side-effects of old, dusty bottles found in crates in the back of supplement stores...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck on the new job and training. I've seen my share of oddball effects and even caused a few (legally obligated to keep them secret), so be careful.

    ReplyDelete